The NetID Rename is only for students/faculty/staff who have had a legal change to their first and/or last name. This process will walk you through the necessary steps to schedule a time for your NetID to be renamed to reflect your updated first and/or last name across all university systems.
Information before Scheduling your NetID Name Change
- You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org if your NetID needs to be changed after a name change in Workday or Banner.
- Please open a Help Desk ticket if you believe this NetID rename request is an error of if you have additional questions by logging into itshelpdesk.fairfield.edu
- You should be logged out of any University programs/resources at the time you choose for the rename process to run.
- Your NetID and email address will be changed at the time you have scheduled for your rename.
- After the rename, your mailbox will continue to receive mail sent to your old email address as well as your new email address.
- Your NetID password will not be changed during the rename process.
- STUDENTS: After the rename, users with an @student.fairfield.edu email account can follow these directions (I'm a Google Apps for Work user sending from a domain alias or email alias) to decide if the new or old address (nickname) should be used as their default address when sending mail.
- FACULTY/STAFF NOTES
- If you want your previous name to show in the Outlook Address Book and in the From: field of your messages, (example: newname, Jane (oldname)), open a Help Desk ticket to schedule a time for this to be done shortly after your NetID rename.
- Augustus folders are not automatically renamed during the NetID rename process. While you should still be able to access Augustus folders after a rename using existing shortcuts, you may want to open a Help Desk ticket to schedule the rename of those folders at the same time that you choose for your NetID rename.
Instructions to Schedule your NetID Name Change
Log on to the Novell Identity Manager UserApp at : NetID User App.
Please note that this website is only accessible while on-campus or using VPN - (VPN is only for Faculty & Staff. Students can only access on-campus)
From the Work Dashboard tab, click on Make a Process Request and Click on Continue
Select the desired Process Request from the list. Select Schedule Rename
Select to schedule the rename of your NetID by clicking on a date and entering a time in the calendar. We recommend that you select a time when you will not be using any NetID Enabled Services, such as in the evening when you are not working.
- Click Submit. Once submitted, the rename schedule time is set and your rename will take place at that time.
- Once your NetID is renamed, you must log into any NetID resources with your new NetID.
- For Faculty/Staff, there is nothing further you need to do.
- For Students, you will need to make one change to your Student Gmail account to reflect the change:
- Sign in to your Student Gmail account.
- Click the Settings along the top of any page, and select the Accounts tab. in the upper-right and select
- Under Send mail as, click Add another email address.
- In the Email address field, enter your name and alternate email address.
- Click Next Step >> and then click Send Verification. Gmail will send a verification message to your other email address to confirm that you own it.
- Locate the message from Gmail. Open it and and either click the link contained in the message or enter the confirmation code in the Accounts section of your Google Apps email settings.