- Open the Settings icon on your home screen, then select Accounts & Password
- Select the Add Account option
- Select Exchange from the the list of mail options..
- In the window that appears, fill in the following fields:
- Email: Full email address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Password: NetID password (may not be present)
- Description: Description to identify this account in case you add a second mail connection (e.g., Fairfield mail, Exchange, etc.)
- Select the Configure Manually option and input your NetID password.
- Select Continue when prompted with a message stating Cannot Verify Server Identity...
- Complete all empty fields using the information below:
- Email: Full email address if not already entered(e.g., email@example.com)
- Server: owa.fairfield.edu
- Domain: ffldu
- Username: NetID (e.g., jdoe)
- Password: NetID password
- When all fields are filled in, touch the Next button in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- Only check off the Mail and Calendars options. Uncheck Contacts, Reminders, and Notes.
- Once you successfully make the connection to the Exchange server, you will see a screen with options all turned on, and they will be to enable Mail, Contacts, and Calendars. By default these are populated with the same information that exists in your desktop Outlook mail account. You can, of course, turn any of these off if you choose.
- Select the Save button in the upper right-hand corner of the screen and, after the configuration is completed, you will be returned to the Settings screen. At this point you can press your home button and launch the Mail application to read access your University account.
As Android Devices vary by manufacturer, the setup may differ for your device. Below are 2 general options to setup your @fairfield.edu Exchange account on an Android device.
- Open the Gmail app .
- In the top left, tap Menu.
- To the right of your username, tap the Down arrow .
- Tap Add account.
- Choose the type of account you want to add, select Exchange.
- Enter the email address and tap Next.
- Enter NetID password and tap Next.
- The device will attempt to retrieve the account settings automatically, but it will fail and ask for the following info:
- Domain: FFLDU
- Server: owa.fairfield.edu
- “Use Secure Connection (SSL)” and “Accept All SSL certificates if prompted
- Confirm the settings entered and tap Next.
- Tap OK to accept the Remote security administration notice.
- Review the default Sync Settings and make any changes as desired. Tap Next.
- Review the Activate Device Administrator message and tap Activate to complete account activation
- Give the account a name (optional) and tap Next.
- Open the Gmail application. You may receive a notification to update security settings. If the notification displays, tap accept to complete the account activation. Email will begin to arrive momentarily.
Setting Up an @fairfield.edu Mail Account on an Android Device
While different Android phones and tablets may vary somewhat in the look of their email applications, these generic instructions should provide users with the information they need to successfully configure any Android device to connect to Fairfield University’s email server.
1. Launch the email application.
2. If you have not previously used this application, you will be presented with the Account Configuration Wizard. Simply enter your University email address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org) and your NetID password.
If you have used this application for a different email account, you will need to start the Account Configuration Wizard. To start the Wizard, tap the menu button, then select the Accounts button, and choose Add account.
3. From the menu of three account options, choose Exchange Account/Corporate Account.
4. In the window that appears, fill in the following fields:
Username: your NetID (e.g., jdoe)
Note: It may display as Domain/Username. Format as follows: ffldu/netid
Description: a description to identify this account in case you add a second mail connection (e.g., Fairfield mail, Exchange, etc.)
Check the boxes labeled “Use Secure Connection (SSL)” and “Accept All SSL certificates.”
Touch the Next button in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
After a few moments, another field will appear on the screen for the Server name. Touch this field to display the keyboard and enter the value owa.fairfield.edu, then touch the Next button.
5. Tap OK to accept the Remote security administration notice.
6. Once you successfully make the connection to the mail server, you will see a screen with a number of configuration options.(These are your preferences for your mobile device)
Email frequency. How often would you like your device to check for email?
Automatic (Push) will send messages directly to your phone the minute they arrive at the server. Depending on how much mail you receive, this choice could adversely affect your battery life. Choosing a frequency of None means that you will have to manually refresh your email client to see if there is new mail. You do this by just launching the mail application.
Amount to synchronize. Choose how much mail you would like to keep on your phone, from the past three days of messages to an entire month’s worth.
After making your selections and checking the boxes to sync your
University contacts and calendar, touch the Next button.
6. Finally, provide a name for the account (this is important if you have more than one mail account configured on your phone), as
well as name that will appear on outgoing messages (e.g, John Doe, J. Doe, John Doe Jr., etc.).
Touch Done to complete the process and begin receiving your mail.