Download and Install
- Avast Mac Security for Mac OS X can be downloaded from Avast.
- Install Avast Free Mac Security as follows via Avast's Detailed Steps
- Download the Setup file for Avast Free Mac Security from Download Avast
- Locate the Setup file
avast_free_mac_security.dmgwhere you saved it in step 1., and double-click to run the file.
- Select the icon on the right to begin installation. If asked to continue, click "Open".
- Confirm that you have read and accept the terms of the Avast End User License Agreement.
- Review the installation details. If you would like to make changes click Change install location or Customize
- Please select customize and uncheck Avast SecureLine VPN and then click "Install"
- Avast Browser Extensions cannot be installed when browsers are running. If a browser is running during Avast Setup, you will be notified that you must quit the browser(s) to complete installation.
- Enter your administrator "Name" and "Password" and click "OK" to confirm installation.
- When installation is successfully completed, a confirmation appears. Close this screen, and the initial setup screen in the background, to exit Setup.
Update Virus Definitions update_link
During the installation process, Avast may update the virus definitions, so opening up the application after installing it to update the virus definitions may not be necessary. However, you may need to update the Virus Definitions manually. To do this, please follow these steps:
Open Avast Free Mac Security from your Applications folder.
- Click on the
- Select the Update tab and choose "Update Now" under Virus Database
- A box like the following will pop-up and you can see the Update Log if you click the arrow to the left.
- The log will scan through the Virus Definitions (this may take a few minutes) and will continue until you see "Success: VPS updated."
- Your Avast Free Mac Security virus definitions are now up to date. You will now be able to register your device onto the network.