Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Have you noticed changes in your friend that worry you? Do you feel like your friend's issues are overwhelming for you? Do you feel like you don't know what to say anymore or how to help your friend? Maybe it's time to call Counseling or Psychological Services. Our services are private and confidential.

Counseling & Psychological Services is a free, confidential service.
We are here to help.

Schedule An Appointment

How you can Help:

  • Call or come to Counseling to get advice about how to approach your friend.
  • Suggest your friend make an appointment to see a counselor. Sometimes it helps to walk your friend to our office.

What if this is a Crisis:

(You are worried about your friend's safety or the safety of another person.)

  • During office hours - Call Counseling immediately 203-254-4000 ext.2146
  • Evening or weekends - Call Public Safety 203-254-4090. The On-call counselor will be contacted.

Go to Crisis Intervention for more information.

Warning Signs that your Friend may need help:

  • Withdrawing from friends or activities
  • Chronically missing classes or decline in interest in academics
  • Major sleep or appetite change
  • Deteriorating hygiene and overall self-care
  • Irritability; frequent arguments and conflicts
  • Binge drinking or drug use
  • Self-injurious behavior
  • Excessive worry, anxiety, fear, or panic
  • Loss of energy, motivation, interests
  • Risky sexual activity
  • Mood swings
  • Feelings of hopeless, worthlessness, and/or thoughts of suicide
  • Expression of thoughts about dying or suicide

How to show your friend that you care:

  • Tell them when you are worried about them.
  • Listen to them when they come to you asking for help.
  • Support them in finding help and solutions.
  • Know when it is time to ask for help from the Counseling staff.
  • No labels